Cycling to John O'Groats-3

16/04/17

I wake up to falling off from the tiny bed and screaming because I have had a nightmare. "You've almost lived a nightmare yesterday, what worse could you even think of?" I say to myself. The breakfast is quite nice and I am all set for the day in no time. The road is pretty nice throughout and I am very happy today. Maybe strangers are wondering why I'm smiling and greeting each one of them or maybe they're just thinking of why my shoes are hanging onto that bag. Everything just seems beautiful today. There's headwind and it's cold and it can rain anytime but none of it affects me. I just take the winds as an opportunity to have the wounds dry and challenge myself on a difficult gear. It's just getting better and better. I am thinking of a good storyline and doing my very own Story-telling shit to myself. I am guided to a cycle route which is a gravel path. Joining A34 later on is a realisation that it's probably the best "A" road I've been to so far. Hilly terrain never fails to bring a smile on my face. Manchester is really beautiful as I cross it along a canal. It's a long way which I divide into 3 for no possible reason. Well, it doesn't matter because I don't plan on stopping any soon. It's just fun like this.
..
So I try finding Rivington lodge and there's no place like that where google shows it should be. I call a guy from the broken house who tells me to ask the hotel guy a lil distance away from there.
"Why me and why today?"
Reaching the hotel, I have gone hysterical and a guy emerges out of somewhere and offers me water and tells me that the name had changed to Rivington barn and is 2-3 miles away from here. I google what he says and bike to that place. I am shaken by this. I'm in the middle of nowhere and there's no hotel/ accommodation here and it's dark by now. Although I enjoyed every bit of today's pedalling, I'm physically unfit to tolerate the cold anymore and the wounds are painful too. I call my dad and get a weird panic attack kinda shit. Dad asks me to hand over the phone to first person I see there And I try explaining how I'm in the middle of almost jungle. I scream, " Hellloooo? is anybody there?" and it's all in vain. Then I spot a building kinda thing with lights on and scream for help. I am freezing. I knock on that door and have a really bad introduction. I hand him the phone over and rush to the toilet. This is not where I was supposed to stay. Rivington lodge is on the motorway where bikes aren't allowed. So they let me stay at their's for the night and tomorrow I'm gonna find another lodge. I am taking a wise decision to not cycle on easter because everything is gonna be closed and that's certainly not what I'd prefer while going some long distance.
The place where I'm staying, the gentleman's name is Mr. Kevin. His wife makes me hot coffee and offers food seeing that I'm really cold and unwell. They own this whole place and the hall barn. Their daughter represents GB in wrestling and has played against Babita Phogat during commonwealth games and several occasions. What's more, she's played the role of Australian wrestler in the movie 'Dangal'.
..
This whole incident made me realise that sometimes I am gonna be scared. I am gonna need help. And I am going to panic. But I am 18. A friend once told me, " don't act 19 when you're 18". Well, that was so right. I am gonna make mistakes, be a kid, but isn't that being myself? Isn't that what I'm gonna learn from and grow from?
17/04/17
After having a wonderful time and mental recovery at Mr and Mrs Salmon's house, I set off this morning for Morecambe. I decide to follow the planned logical route but still have Google maps switched on. It is a beautiful day for riding. Cold and wet is just the usual bit which officially doesn't affect me anymore. Although The Second day of the period is usually hell on earth and a total mood screw-up, this day isn't getting much affected by that. Except for when my menstrual cup decides to give up the blood-battle and pops out midway somehow after a climb. Fortunately I have my back-up stuff handy. I laugh at it and get changed. This day makes me happy. So happy that I am at the top-most level of excitement and I can't possibly hold it in. Crossing Preston is a huge pain because the cycle paths have people with kids and dogs and their trollies and stuff. After manoeuvring for a bit I decide to use my voice and scream, "Bike Laaaaaane!! excuse me? Bike laaaaaaane, Thanks!" and people keep giving way. I mentally tell myself to never get into this 'getting settled' shit. Finally when I'm back on A6 after that, I vow to never take google routes again. Listening to Podcasts on Transcontinental bikepacking races and then a few more on various different topics followed by an e-book make this ride even more interesting. I suddenly feel more comfortable with myself on the road and this feels like a place to be. or probably THE place to be. I'm thinking of all the things I'd like to write if I take a stop right now. I'm talking to myself, smiling to grumpy strangers and hoping to get a smile back and having a conversation with the bike and google lady. There are times when I am comfortable enough to do all this weird shit and there are times when I feel so lonely that I wanna say, "Someone please come and hug me!!"
Well, I enjoy just everything- initial or latter.
As I reach Morecambe I realise that this is the first booking which perfectly went well and it's just another reason to smile today.
I treat myself with beans on toast for dinner and a cappuccino and looong walk. Absolutely delighted by everything today, I am still tired, or probably that's the reason I am tired. I think I have the "mountain charming" effect on me since I can see them very close. If it's that, then tomorrow's gonna be even better.
So welcome Mountains, let's have some fun now 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling to John O'Groats-6

Cycling John O'Groats-1

Cycling to John O'Groats-5