Cycling to John O'Groats-9

30/04/17

"Where You headed to?", I ask the guy who seems to be struggling with his luggage. 
"Bonar bridge" "Cool! Ride safe!"I reply as I realise that out of all the important things I never manage to forget or lose, I've lost the keycard to the dorm room at Youth hostel. Name the place, I've searched it all! Where did I find it? Right besides my bike in the soil after I was done loading my saddle bag. Smartass, ain't I? Plan is to spend the whole day on saddle but ending up at Tain. Technically I can reach John O'Groats tomorrow. But I wanna explore some more and be at John O'Groats on Molly's birthday which happens to be on the the 3rd of May! I remember her saying that I should head over to Innerleithen for a few shots with her and Gary while on my way back which would be a triple celebration for her birthday, Gary and her anniversary and the end of my trip. I smile to myself thinking that I can celebrate her birthday, their anniversary and the end of my trip at the final destination! Now that she's nowhere, she's everywhere, that's how it works, right? ..This guy has been waiting for me to ask my route and he seems keen to follow my route and then get to his destination. Sure mate, let's do this!I have no clue what his name is but he certainly isn't a Brit. Turns out he stays at Munich.. We ride mostly without talking and I'm hungry as hell. I ask him if he's had breakfast. He's managed to have it at the youth hostel. I have no plans to be famished any soon so I tell him that I need to eat at the next big town. There's a Tesco there and every restaurant around is shut. Fortunately, the cafe in Tesco is open and I order a full Scottish breakfast, two cappuccinos and a veggie toastie takeaway. I go food-crazy. ..Throughout the next few miles I only can tell myself that I'm gonna go for a post-ride ride all by myself to find the peace I need. I mean, I sure am liking to ride with someone. But I'm afraid I'm the kind of person who'll die of boredom if you don't match my level of excitement or talking either real deep or darn humorous shit while on bike. I can't even listen to music because I have enough manners to not be listening to music when someone's accompanying me. This is suffocating and I need to find a way- Strike up a conversation or whatever. Out of all the days, it's today that I feel so high on life all over again. The worst part is, I can't accidentally talk aloud to myself or to the things around. Mental asylum isn't really the next place I plan on visiting. ..Alright, by far I've managed to figure out his name, nationality, destination and the fact that he hates facebook. We stop at the place where I'm staying and have lunch in the restaurant. I wait for him to leave for Bonar bridge and when he's out of sight, I get my bike out of the shed and set off. Now I see all the places I planned on visiting earlier, write the shit I come up with and ride the bike without racing and pacing and mostly only for the pleasure of riding the bike. This is satisfaction! ..I'm back in the room, hungry as hell. Hotel restaurant is closed and everything is dead quiet outside. Feels like a curfew but I can see the co-op open from the window. I get a couple of boxes of grapes, tomato and cheese pasta, Walkers and choc macaroons. I record a video myself talking about the day and plan on posting it but let's face it, you don't wanna imagine my voice instead of yours in your head while I replay my day, do you?
The A9 runs right alongside the sea. The clouds seem to have settled on the sea. I can only see water to my right and clouds on it making the borders blurry. The road is pure bliss to ride on minus the winds. Winds are crazy. There are crosswinds and headwinds although the forecast told me I'll have tailwinds today. Never mind. I've got this. The winds sway my helmet real hard and a few gusts of it try pushing me off the road into the mud/grass/stones which border the road for a couple of metres. A few HGVs and cars do show mercy to this kid and take the other lane. But the others? Hell no! They'll rush right past me at unimaginable speeds and fuck with my rhythm with the winds. I don't care anyway because a few challenges are fun. Climbs make me feel cheerful as I can imagine the view from the top even before reaching there. Let's not talk about how the downhills go with those winds. One thing's for sure, a slight peek onto my right to get a view of the sea and my focus and concentration and everything is screwed. The music is quite motivating. I have no clue what playlist this is. Whichever it might be, It's working well for me. I feel very jumpy and wanna talk. Like yesterday. The fact that I'm running behind anyone to be with someone is unsettling so I decide to find a place with a nice view and have a think. A9 is a steady climb now, but it feels nice. As I bike onto the last bit of climb, I get a really bad cramp and decide to jump onto the grass and sit there admiring the view for a bit. This is fun. Everything is so quiet. I am on a farm entrance. I remove the backpack and lie down with my head on it. This feels home. I love this. I feel calm and the cramp is fixing itself. I can see the blue sky, the road I just climbed and when I sit up I see the sea stretching into infinity. The winds, climbs and every other risk feels worth it. I'm not tired anymore. I eat a couple of macaroons and fish out my phone to make a vlog. I promise myself to upload it after I've reached the place I'll be staying for the night. I feel good that I'm not stammering a lot through the video. Wow, that's an achievement! I lie down again. A car takes a screeching turn and brakes right besides me. This thing has managed to scare the daylights out of me. I'm on an imbalance. Again. 
"Have you crashed? Are you alright? We saw you lying down. We thought there's a problem! Do you want to come inside and have some tea?"
Who says no to tea? I tell them I'm fine but I'd love some tea. 
Mr and Mrs. Collins are a great company. I talk to them, show them the video and tell them what I'm up to. They seem pleased. I have two whole pots of tea and some scones and jam. 
"Had you told me you were so hungry, I'd have cooked something for you!", Mrs Collins says. 
"No, no, thank you so much, I am fine! I should head off now!"
"Where you heading to?"
"John O'Groats"
"Let me tell you one thing, young lady! You're incredibly brave to be taking this route! Cyclists aren't usually recommended this one. Any specific reason you are here?", Mr Collins asks. 
"Ermmm, I wanted this view of the sea and mountains sitting side to side and moreover, I really fancy riding on main roads and highways kinda stuff. Feel like a big girl out there"
"Say no more! You're doing great! You're just there... Do what you love! Inform us when you get there... WITHOUT FAIL, ok?" 
"Yes, I will, thank you so much!"
Wow, I love Scottish people. I swear, no human is unsafe here. In fact, no human is unsafe of any road. I mean, I've never had a bit of time resting alongside any road without being asked if I'm alright. Cars wave, bikes give thumbs up. Jeez, is it even a thing to be here? 
I reach Helmsdale after many detours and many incidents. This place offers me a perfect view of the river Helmsdale entering the sea on my right and the mountains on my left. Time for an evening hike, time for exploring the mountains by foot! I'm in Scotland, lest I forget!

02/05/17
#17MilesToGroats #SmallThings #SoMuchEncouragement



01/05/17

I scream a big "What the hell?". When did this happen? It's an unsettling sight of how I was on the bed with head on the pillows when I slept and woke up with sides changed on the floor with the blanket abandoned on the bed but pillow still under my head. Wow, do I sleepwalk or something? I laugh at the thought and gear up for the day. I feel quite cheerful today and I'm gonna be cycling onto the A9 throughout. The same road which I was told to specifically avoid because of certain risks. Never mind. It's a quick ride to the next town where I'll be having my breakfast. I have a stupid grin on my face as I realise that a few days ago I was thinking I'll never get to the north and here I am, 88 miles from John O'Groats. Like everyday, I tell myself loud and clearly, "I am not gonna let anyone break me today" and I am very sure I am not gonna need it today, after all the days because the fact that I am making it to this side of the country is quite a thing for me. I swear, I am flying today. I mean, the stats say so, not me. With the crosswinds and occasional headwinds, I'm still going faster than everyday. So I take a detour onto the road that goes to the mountains on my left. It's a nice climb and I'm climbing into the clouds. This feels heaven. Perfect. I fail to figure out the summit due to the clouds but I'm sure I crossed it somewhere. I speed my way down the hill and soon get back on the A9. 
Who knew I could see a day when I rise and ride above the clouds, guide HGVs using arm signals to overtake or stop, a truck driver almost runs me over and then treats me with coffee and biscuits, motorcyclists and mountain bikers have a long and relaxed chat with me over espressos and coffee cakes and the winds sing happy songs into my ears, all because I reach John O'Groats tomorrow! 
"You're one tough girl, don't let any wind or any trouble knock you off that road. Not now, not ever!" - Mr. Bryson, the driver of the truck which sped up inches away from me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling to John O'Groats-6

Cycling John O'Groats-1

Cycling to John O'Groats-5